Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Plynkes in the Land of Lead Adventure


Having been given the opportunity to accompany two friends on a short trip across the water, Plynkes jumped at the chance. It would be perfect cover for his latest mission for the Admiralty. But more on that later. For now, Plynkes would have to do his best to look like a typical tourist. After a trip through an England shrouded in darkness, and a short journey across the water. The party reached France.

My two companions had already pretty-much settled upon their itinerary, and there wouldn't be time for much deviation from it. This was hard going for me, as our route took us straight across the front lines of the Great War, and we passed many signposts to places with evocative names that I would have liked to stop at and visit. Ypres, Arras, Cambrai, Mons, and the Argonne all passed me by, and I became increasingly irritable and fidgety.

It was then that we noticed that we were making good time, and the journey to our first night's stop in Metz took us pretty near to Verdun. So after much whining, screaming, holding my breath until I passed out, and promising to be good and not stop for long, my friends gave in and we took the slight detour in that direction...

No comments: